Answering yes to all or most questions does not insure success. Similarly, answering no to all or most questions does not guarantee failure. Individuals with little or no experience in fish farming and few resources available can become successful fish farmers, but they should start small and expand slowly, and be willing to invest money, time and effort.
Answer to yourself with Yes or No
2. Do you own suitable land with a good source of high-quality water?
3. Do you own enough land and water necessary for a profitable venture?
4. Is there a high demand and sufficient market for your product?
5. Is expected profit from fish farming greater than other land uses?
6. Can you really devote the money, time, and labor necessary?
7. Do you know the costs involved with the following items:
Land & buildings
Tanks & aerators
Electricity & fuel
Labor & maintenance
2. Is the market demand sufficient year-round?
3. Do you have an alternative marketing strategy to rely on?
2. Does your soil have enough clay content to hold water? (For ponds system)
3. Is the water temperature optimal for the fish species reared?
4. Do you have space sufficient to build enough ponds, raceways and buildings?
5. Do you have good and easy access for treating, feeding and harvesting?
6. Is your residence near enough for direct observation and security?
2. Do you have a reliable source of fingerlings or eggs at affordable prices?
3. Do you have a reliable source of feed at reasonable cost?
4. Do you have dependable labor available at affordable wages?
5. How long is your growing season (days/year)?
6. What's your required production capacity (Tonnes/year)?
7. What's the best fish species for you to grow (Freshwater or marine)?
8. Are you aware of fish reproductive biology and nutritional needs?
2. Do you know where to apply for the necessary permits and licenses?
2. Is fish-disease diagnostic-help readily available?
3. Do you know about off-flavor and its causes?
4. Is pesticide, metal, or oil contamination possible?
5. Can you deal with poachers, vandal and predation?
6. Do you know where to go for information and help?